Sunday, January 12, 2014

Christmas in Iowa


I've mentioned before that I am extremely blessed to have such a wonderful extended family. They truly are the best! I was raised with all of my best friends and playmates being my cousins. My mom is the oldest of eight children. I have 26 cousins on her side of the family and now there are 26 great-grandkids too! I knew before Ted was even born that I wanted to spend his first Christmas in Iowa (I would love to say every Christmas, but we'll see). Even better, it was five other babies first Christmas too! 

Photos of Christmas Past

 Started with just a few...


 ALWAYS have family photos


Taking my role very seriously


Patiently waiting...


 Only 17 cousins this year...


Girls only!


We got too old for pageants...


 Let the games begin!


Because of all these amazing people, Christmas has never been about gifts to me. I learned at a very young age that it really didn't matter what I got on Christmas morning...the highlight was always spending Christmas Eve with all of my cousins. I can never remember what gifts I got, but I remember when I got to play Mary in our family's annual Christmas story. I will never forget my uncle starting the "We want presents!" chant just to drive his sisters' crazy! I remember having a cousins' talent show and games galor! But most of all, I know that when I am in their presence, laughing and sharing memories, I feel blessed beyond all measure.


Six babies first Christmas!


 Psych up for the baby crawling contest...


Ted meets Santa...


 Ted's first Christmas!


I told you - family photos EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR...

And this amazing lady is my grandma...she is the root that holds this whole family together. Almost 93 years old, she is the greatest example to me of what true family is. Her love is unconditional, her faith is unending and her prayers are unceasing. If my life is half as blessed as hers, I will consider myself lucky. I don't want Ted to miss any of her Christmases...


 Chillaxin' after the party...


 the next generation with Santa and Grandma Millie...


The ultimate baby whisperer...

This year, it wasn't just about Christmas Eve with all my cousins. It was about Christmas in Iowa with my immediate family. My mom and dad, sister and her new family, my brother and his family, my nephews, Jason, Ted and I being together. I can't even remember the last time we were all together for Christmas. It warms my heart just to think about it again. 


New cousins!


Snuggles with Grandma Mary


 Bro-in-laws!!


Helping Papa Lynn open his gift...


 Most of the grandkids...


 Family dinner at our favorite place!


This kid... :-)


Ted loves his Uncle Nick!

Even though Ted won't remember his first Christmas, I will remember it for him. I love telling him about all the people in Iowa who love him so, so, so much! I hope and pray that even far away, he will develop close bonds with his cousins in the Midwest, especially the ones that are so close to him in age.









Farewell for now, Iowa...back home we go!! My love for Iowa grows with every visit and I hope and pray we can make it back there often so Ted can have the experience of "cousins by the dozens" like I did. 


 weekly photo...Iowa edition


waiting for our plane...

No comments:

Post a Comment